100 Linux interview questions for newbies (Level 1).
Are you looking for Linux interview questions? Hope you are in right place to get most of the entry-level interview questions. Below questions are framed for those who certified or not certified with minimum knowledge in Linux. The explanation for each question will be updated in the future with links refer to each answer.
1. How will you print the Date & time in Linux?
2. What command used to list only the directories?
3. How to find how long a server running?
4. What is the load average? and explain each section.
5. How will you set NTP time in Red Hat Linux 7, Centos 7, Oracle Linux 7?
6. Which daemon will handle time synchronization in Red Hat Linux 7, Centos 7, Oracle Linux 7?
7. How to change files mode permission in Linux?
8. How to change ownership of a file in Linux?
9. How to list the available mount points in Linux in human readable format?
10. What is the default filesystem of RHEL 7, Centos 7, Oracle Linux 7?
11. Default home directory of root user will be under which location?
12. Maximum character be used in a file name in Linux?
13. How to exit vi editors in Linux?
14. How will you partition a disk in Linux?
15. How to create a user with UID 5000
16. How to change a shell of a user?
17. Which command can be used to modify a user information?
18. Default port number of SSH?
19. How to list last 50 lines of a file
20. How to remove a user from Linux server?
21. How to configure IP using TUI/CLI?
22. Default UID of root user?
23. What is YUM? Abbreviation of “YUM”?
24. How to list all installed package using rpm command.
25. What is SetUID, SetGID?
26. Which command used to archive a file in Linux.
27. The single command used to archive and compress files or directories in Linux?
28. Which package used for setting up an Apache web server
29. Default document root location of Apache Web server?
30. What are the steps need to be followed to create a logical volume in Linux?
31. How to create an ext4 filesystem
32. How to print the hostname in Linux?
33. How to set the hostname in RHEL 7 Linux?
34. How to search for a string starting with sysadmin in the file /etc/passwd?
35. How to Schedule some task for user sysadmin in Linux?
36. How will you schedule a one-time task in Linux
37. How to check the ageing of a User in Linux
38. Which command used to change the priority of a process
39. How to list and change the access control list of a file.
40. How will you check the status of SELinux?
41. How to list the SELinux context of /var/www/html directory.
42. How to restart a service in RHEL 7, Oracle Linux 7, Centos 7
43. How to list first 25 lines of a file.
44. Which command used for creating swap?
45. How will you mount a filesystem?
46. How to create a Logical Volume using Physical extends?
47. How to remove volume group from a Linux server?
48. Which command used to list the available NFS exports from client machines.
49. How to get and change the runlevel in RHEL 7
50. How to completely disable a service from manually starting and at boot time.
51. The default location of the interface files will be under.
52. The package used to create an iSCSI server.
53. The default location of Apache configuration file.
54. What is Samba and why it used?
55. What is the default permission for a file when created in Linux.
56. Explain what will chmod 640 file_name do?
57. How to list all hidden files in a directory?
58. How to complete a command in the terminal by auto-completion?
59. How to run a Job in the background?
60. How to bring the background Job to the foreground?
61. What will CTRL+C and CTRL+Z do?
62. What is the signal number for CTRL+C
63. What is the signal number of CTRL+Z
64. How to remove a group from Linux servers.
65. What will happen after bootstrapping?
66. What will echo “some text” do?
67. How “anaconda-ks.cfg” will be created under /root ?
68. Which command used to create ssh Key?
69. Which file shows all Services, protocol and Port numbers in Linux?
70. How to create a soft link for file /home/oel7/linux.txt under /var/www/html/
71. Full form for TLS?
72. Which command will list UUID of all block devices?
73. How to make a file system persistent during reboot?
74. How to activate and deactivate a swap?
75. The default location of repository file in RHEL, Centos, Oracle Linux 7?
76. Command used to secure copy a file over the network.
77. How to know the kernel version of Linux?
78. How to find and list all files owned by user “sysadmin”.
79. Set GID with any permission for /home/sysadmin/test.txt
80. Protocol / Port number used by NTP?
81. How to set a variable in shell scripting?
82. Which command will print the gateway information in Linux?
83. Which command is used to determine the path of an executable file?
84. In vi editor which command sets the number for all lines?
85. Which command will be used to count the total number of lines, words, and characters in a file?
86. The maximum number of Primary Partitions can exist on one drive?
87. In which file, all recently entered commands will be stored?
88. How to lock a user password
89. Which command will print the present working directory?
90. How to synchronize two directories securely in Linux?
91. How frequent /tmp get cleared automatically?
92. Under which location wiki pages will be stored?
93. How to print full memory information?
94. How to print full CPU information?
95. How to display all currently running processes on the system.
96. How to display total disk usage of the current directory?
97. How to ssh into a server with IP address 192.168.1.100 using user sysadmin
98. How to print user information’s UID, GID and Groups?
99. How to bring an interface up and down without restarting or affecting other interfaces?
100. How many run levels are in Linux?
Hope this post help you for preparing your admired Linux admin role.